Sunday 22 July 2012

'Jesus' crab catches eye of Snohomish County family

Okay. Here are the ground rules on this. NO ONE IS CLAIMING THIS IS THE FACE OF JESUS CHRIST. It just happens to look like a common depiction of Jesus. It looks a lot like it.
It could also look like the face of Osama bin Laden. It depends on what you see, if you see anything at all.
So here's the story. This is a still picture taken from a video shot on a crabbing trip near Hat Island, near Everett, last weekend.
The Canfield family was unloading a pot of crab into their boat when the video-taker captured the underside of this crab. I have seen the video.
There is no "oh my gosh would you look at that" dwelling on the image. The person filming didn't even notice. The video continues on with the kids trying to catch crabs that fell onto the deck. There is no stopping in amazement like it was staged.
It wasn't until the family watched the video after they got home that they noticed the crab and the image on its belly. And even as I write this line, I can hear the conspiracy folks cranking up in my mind. The family threw the crab back in the water because it was a female, not legal to keep. So this crab is back at the bottom of Puget Sound, unless someone else has caught it again. There is no crab to study or discredit.
I know this family. Their sons have played on the baseball teams that I coach. I trust them. As dad John Canfield told me "we're not that sophisticated" to come up with a hoax. In fact, he didn't even want to tell anyone what he thought he saw on the video until he shared it with his wife. I asked him about Photoshop. I asked him if the family drew the face on the crab and dropped it in the pot. John said "no," and I believe him.
Again, his wife sent me the photo because she thought I'd find it funny. We're Catholics. These things are funny to us. The Canfields are not claiming this is the face of Jesus.
And if you choose to comment on this photo, please limit your thoughts to what you see and do not go after the Canfields. They aren't making any claims. They just wanted to share an interesting photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You only need to enter your comment once! Comments will appear once they have been moderated. This is so as to stop the would-be comedian who has been spamming the comments here with inane and often offensive remarks. You know who you are!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis