Tuesday 22 July 2014

Wild beaver kits born in Devon

One of the first wild beavers to be seen in England in centuries and due to be taken into captivity has given birth to three young


theguardian.com, Thursday 17 July 2014 13.01 BST

A wild beaver due to be taken into captivity has given birth to at least three young.

The young, known as kits, were born to the family of two adult and one juvenile European beavers (Castor fiber) that were spotted living on the river Otter in Devon earlier this year, in what was believed to be the first sighting of the species in the wild in England in 500 years.

Local retired environmental scientist Tom Buckley, who in Februarycaptured the first video footage of the family gnawing at the base of trees, grooming themselves and playing together, said he first saw the kits earlier this week.

“I was just so excited when I saw my first baby beaver that was born here in the river Otter. I had been looking and hoping to see signs of baby beavers for over a month. My hopes were raised when I saw a mother beaver showing obvious signs of nursing babies. And then I saw a baby beaver came to its mother seeking her attention, just like babies do. Clambering all over her while she was trying to eat. I was rather overwhelmed by it all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only need to enter your comment once! Comments will appear once they have been moderated. This is so as to stop the would-be comedian who has been spamming the comments here with inane and often offensive remarks. You know who you are!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis