Thursday, 11 August 2011

Shop worker bitten by scorpion

A Scottish shop worker is recovering at home after being stung by a scorpion while opening a box of bananas.


Billy Clark, 48, of Stonehaven, felt a sharp sting in his right little finger after opening the box, which had been imported from Colombia.

He told STV: "At first I thought it was a centipede because I just saw a long thing going under the cardboard and when I moved it there was a scorpion.

"When I saw it I thought 'oh my god, is it a deadly one'. It was quite sore - like a bee sting but more intense."

Mr Clark captured the three inch arachnid before being taken by ambulance to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

He said: "I took it to the hospital with me. I used a pair of grippers and put it in an empty coffee jar. I thought if I went to hospital and said I'd been stung by a scorpion they'd think 'he's on something'.

"An hour after being admitted to hospital I was feeling tired and feeling sick but they did blood tests and a heart trace and kept an eye on me every hour."

Staff at the hospital named the scorpion after Colombian pop singer Shakira.

Mr Clark said he would like to be reunited with the scorpion which is currently under the care of the Scottish SPCA.
http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirkies/Shop_worker_bitten_by_scorpion

No comments:

Post a comment

You only need to enter your comment once! Comments will appear once they have been moderated. This is so as to stop the would-be comedian who has been spamming the comments here with inane and often offensive remarks. You know who you are!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis