Friday, 24 December 2010

Dog's close squeak after swallowing rubber duck

A dog needed emergency surgery after vets discovered she had swallowed a rubber duck.


Jasmine's owners first realised something was up when the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, from Johnstone, Renfrewshire, suddenly became ill.

Investigations showed the seven-year-old had spent nine months with the bath toy inside her stomach before it shifted and created a near-fatal blockage.

Vets at the PDSA in Glasgow, who examined the pet, rushed her straight into surgery to remove the object and she has now made a good recovery.

The incident was named in the charity's list of the top ten most dramatic cases it handled this year.

Another Scottish case to feature in the "Top of the Ops" countdown was that of curious kitten Garfield, who survived a 120ft plunge from a tower block window.

The eight-month-old cat squeezed through a gap in the 12th-storey window and fell to the ground below in Parkhead, Glasgow. He escaped with a collapsed lung and a broken front right leg.

Senior veterinary surgeon Sean Wensley said: "Pets can be remarkably resilient and some of our patients this year have survived terrifying ordeals.

"It's testament to the great work of our veterinary teams and the animals' often extraordinary capacity for healing.

"Without PDSA's help many owners would be unable to afford veterinary treatment for their much-loved companions. Our work is vitally important to the pets and their owners that rely on our services."

The PDSA said there has been an "unprecedented surge in demand" for their services recently, having seen a 50% increase in pet patients over the five-year period from 2006 to 2010.



__._,_.___

No comments:

Post a comment

You only need to enter your comment once! Comments will appear once they have been moderated. This is so as to stop the would-be comedian who has been spamming the comments here with inane and often offensive remarks. You know who you are!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis