Friday, 12 October 2012

Man Dies After Winning Roach-Eating Contest


The winner of a cockroach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms.
About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.
Edward Archbold, 32, became ill shortly after the competition ended and collapsed in front of the shop, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement released on Monday.
He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities are waiting for results of a post-mortem to determine a cause of death.
"Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat," said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California.
"Some people do have allergies to roaches but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."
None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff's office said.
Continued:  http://uk.news.yahoo.com/man-dies-winning-roach-eating-contest-001751492.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only need to enter your comment once! Comments will appear once they have been moderated. This is so as to stop the would-be comedian who has been spamming the comments here with inane and often offensive remarks. You know who you are!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis