Sunday 20 June 2010

Rat that chewed wire blamed for $1 million blaze

Jun 19, 3:12 PM EDT

YAKIMA, Wash. (AP) -- Yakima fire officials say a rat that chewed through the electrical wiring of a jukebox is responsible for a $1 million fire that gutted the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 379. Investigators believe the rodent caught fire Wednesday morning and fled to its nest inside an old piano, where it ignited combustible material in the nest. The rat was found dead near the fire's point of origin.

Deputy Fire Marshal Ron Melcher says it's uncommon for rodents to cause fires. He says investigators had to study the building carefully to decide what happened because there was so much damage.


(Information from the Yakima Herald-Republic, KNDO)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only need to enter your comment once! Comments will appear once they have been moderated. This is so as to stop the would-be comedian who has been spamming the comments here with inane and often offensive remarks. You know who you are!

Related Posts with Thumbnails