Saturday 10 August 2013

Families warned after fox kills and eats three dogs

A rogue fox has killed and eaten three dogs in a housing estate in recent weeks prompting authorities to warn homeowners of the risk of a child being attacked.

Two of the dogs were attacked in their owners’ yards in Ennis, Co Clare, while a third was dragged to a wooded area where it was eaten. 

County dog warden and ISPCA animal welfare officer, Frankie Coote, has set up a trap in an effort to catch the animal which has been frequenting the Tobartaoscáin area of the town. 

It’s believed the animal is travelling through lands or along the railway tracks to the estate from the nearby Clare Abbey area. 

Local man James Marrinan was targeted twice and lost two pet dogs. “One was a lovely little Jack Russell and I know it was the fox that did it. I was driving home one night and saw two foxes in the middle of the road in my headlights so they’re around the place. 

“I’ve lost two dogs, but I got a new one last week. I keep it in the shed all the time when I’m not here. I’m not taking anymore chances. It’s not something I would ever have expected to happen,” he said. 

Mr Coote said: “At first I found it hard to believe a fox was doing this, but now we have witnesses who have seen it. Foxes are easily identifiable by a big, bushy tail but this one’s tail is not bushy, it has mange. 

“The fox has killed two dogs in their owners’ gardens and another dog has been taken from the area to the woods where it was eaten. If a fox will attack a dog, kill it and eat it, I’m very concerned that a child could be attacked.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

You only need to enter your comment once! Comments will appear once they have been moderated. This is so as to stop the would-be comedian who has been spamming the comments here with inane and often offensive remarks. You know who you are!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis